Turns out we need to drive the apron from the front shaft, not the hind shaft (which apparently worked fine for the previous owner, but NOT FOR ME). So, I'll be off to a machinist tomorrow to have yet another shaft machined with a longer end so that we can hang a sprocket on it to turn it.
In the meantime, sit back and enjoy the video below of the rest of the carder running! We did.
Things we need to do:
- Get a new shaft machined for the feeder
- Set up the doffer comb
- Set up the drafter
- Set up the can coiler
- Set up the picker (monster project from Hades!)
- Tour Fairibault Woolen Mill
- Tour Hidden Valley Woolen Mill and pick Carol's and Paul's brains
- Have another beer or two or three
- Wash up another 300 lbs of that 500 lbs of wool I bought last fall
- there must be more but I just can't think of it