Saturday, March 9, 2013

Shearing Day

Today it was just me, the shearer and 28 wooly sheep waiting to be shorn, vaccinated and wormed.

My faithful helper was at a quilt retreat and refused to leave to help with shearing this spring--I don't know why. My back up helper was having a good time in Wadena. So, just the two of us to do all the work. We managed quite fine.


Before shearing. The CVM/Romeldales are wearing coats to protect their fleeces from vegetation


Jim Peterson, from Wisconsin, shearing a karakul ewe



After shearing, all fleeced out and contentedly munching hay

About 18 of the sheep are ready to lamb starting the end of March.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww...naked sheep! It's still cold here in MN...hope they don't freeze.

    Will you be selling some of those fleeces at Shepherd's Harvest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Rachel, I just skirted the fleeces today and picked out 7 or 8 fleeces to show and sell at the fleece competition at Shepherd's Harvest. Look for them there. I might sell some of the other fleeces in the Anoka Fiber Works Booth (of which I'm a member) at the festival, too.

    ReplyDelete